Aids and adaptations
We want to support you to live safely and independently in your own home. We have a dedicated team who will work with you to make changes to your home, or look at other options to maintain and improve your quality of life. We'll assess your needs and will recommend changes to your home.
What are aids?
Aids are pieces of equipment that help you to manage at home more independently. The types of aids we can provide include:
- Chair raisers to raise your chair or sofa so it’s easier you to sit down and stand up
- Bed raisers to make your bed higher so it’s easier get in and out of it
- Bed levers to provide a support to hold so it’s easier to get in and out of bed
- Shower boards to help you to get in and out of your shower or bath
- Bath lifts to help you get in and out of the bath
These are just some examples of the aids we may be able to help you with. We will pay for some aids and can recommend local suppliers for others.
What are adaptations?
Adaptations are permanent changes which make getting around the home easier. They can improve your quality of life in the long-term and include:
- Changing your doorstep to improve access
- Installing external ramps if you are a wheelchair user
- Putting up grab rails in your bathroom so you can use it safely
- Installing an over-the-bath shower
- Installing a stairlift so you can get up and down stairs better
All these things are designed to help keep you safe and make it easier to get around the home. They benefit people who are less able but wish to retain their independence by staying in their own home and community.
Who pays for it?
We will pay for the cost of adapting your property up to a certain amount. If the work costs more than this then you will need to apply to your local council for a Disabled Facilities Grant. Our team can help you apply for this grant.
If you can’t get a grant, there are some charities, such as the British Legion that may be able to help as well. Check out the Turn2us website for help gaining access to grants and other help.
Are you eligible for the work?
We use the same eligibility criteria for these assessments as South Gloucestershire Council. Under these guidelines there are four bands: critical, substantial, moderate and low.
We can help you if your needs fall in the critical or substantial bands. If you fall outside of these bands then we will advise you of your options and tell you where you can get help.
Please note we will not carry out any improvements related to mobility scooters. This is because they are not recognised as an NHS mobility aid.
How to apply
If you have any problems filling it in, please contact us on 0300 123 2222 and ask to speak to a member of the Aids and Adaptations team.
South Gloucestershire Council – www.southglos.gov.uk
Bath & North East Somerset Council – www.bathnes.gov.uk
Bristol City Council – www.bristol.gov.uk
Age UK – www.ageuk.org.uk
GOV.UK – www.gov.uk/browse/disabilities
UK Learning Disabilities – www.uklearningdisabilities.co.uk
Turn2us – www.turn2us.org.uk