Fire safety

We want you to be safe in your home, which is why we’ve teamed up with Avon Fire & Rescue to provide advice on how to reduce the risk of a fire.

Book your free home fire safety visit

The visits only last 30 minutes and cover topics such as cooking safely, avoiding electrical fires and using candles safely. The firefighter will also talk about the importance of planning an escape in the event of a fire in your home.

What to do if there's a fire

If you live in a block of flats we advise residents to stay put if the fire alarm goes off. Stay in your home with the door closed and wait to be rescued.

If the fire is in your home, you should leave your home and close the door behind you, before exiting the building by the nearest fire escape route. These are clearly signposted.

If you are in the communal areas when the fire alarm goes off, you should leave by the nearest fire escape route.

It is important that corridors in communal blocks and schemes are kept clear from obstruction so that in the event of a fire, people’s escape routes are obstacle free.

If you do not live in a flatted scheme and your fire alarm goes off, you should leave the building immediately and call the fire brigade. Do not return to the building for any reason.

Reducing the risk of fire

To reduce the risk of fire:
• never leave anything cooking on the stove unattended
• keep matches and lighters out of reach of children
• do not hang clothes to dry around gas or electric fires
• close all internal doors at night and when you are out, to help stop a fire from spreading.

You should not keep explosive or flammable liquids, gases or materials in your home, in your garden or in a shared area, other than those needed for reasonable domestic use.
In particular you must get our permission to keep bottled gas, paraffin or petrol in any part of the building or in any other area owned by us, for example, a garage, shed or landing.

Smoke detectors

You are responsible for checking your smoke detector at least once a month, as specified in your tenancy agreement. You should never disable a smoke detector as in the event of a fire, this could save your life.