Living in your home

Your rights and responsibilities are laid out in your tenancy agreement. Below is some general information about what we expect from you while you're living in your home.


We're happy to give permission for you to keep a pet in your home in most cases. However, you will need to seek our permission beforehand. Please download the form below , fill it in and return it to us if you'd like request to keep a pet. We'll review your application and let you know whether we will give you permission to have a pet.

Pet Request Permission Form[docx] 30KB

Loft space

We recommend that you do not store heavy items in the loft space. This area is not designed to hold items or people. Heavy items may fall through ceilings into the room below causing serious injury.


You must make sure that you do not exceed the permitted number of occupants as specified in your tenancy agreement. If you think that you need a larger home because your circumstances have changed, please tell us and we will let you know how to apply for a larger home.

Your garden

If you have a garden with your property it is your responsibility to keep the area tidy and free from rubbish. If your garden becomes overgrown and a problem to your neighbours, we will ask you to tidy your garden and will take formal action if you do not do this.


Your household rubbish will be collected by your local authority. Your council’s website will have details about when the collection day is for your street.
Large items such as old furniture should either be taken to a recycling centre or you can contact your local council to arrange for them to collect this for you. Please note there may be a charge for this service.
Fly tipping is illegal, and against your tenancy conditions. There are several recycling centres where you can take your rubbish. If you live in South Gloucestershire, you need to apply to the council to register your vehicle to use its Sort it Centres. Follow this link for more information -


You are responsible for dealing with pests such as ants, rats, mice, or wasps in your home, unless they are in a communal area. If you have a problem with pests in your home, there are many products available in supermarkets and pet stores that you can use.
Alternatively you can contact your local council. Please note there may be a charge for this service.


You do not have exclusive rights to park on the road outside your home. Anyone who has paid road tax for their vehicle is entitled to park on the public highway, which includes the road outside your home.

In some areas parking can be a problem because many of our properties were built when families had only one car or did not have a car at all. In order to avoid unnecessary conflict please:

  • be considerate to your neighbours when parking
  • make sure you do not block other cars, this applies to all members of your household and your visitors as well
  • remember that no parking space can be reserved by a particular household.

Abandoned vehicles

It is a breach of your tenancy condition to abandon any vehicle on our land. Vehicles could be cars, vans, trailers or horse boxes, caravans, motorbikes and boats. A vehicle will be deemed abandoned if:

  • there is no tax or a current vehicle keeper on DVLA records
  • there is significant damage or the vehicle is un-roadworthy
  • it is burnt out
  • there are not two number plates on the vehicle
  • the vehicle contains waste
  • it has been stationary for an extended time.

If you do not remove the vehicle, action will be taken against you, which could include removing the vehicle and billing you for this cost.

Satellite dishes and aerials

You must seek permission if you want to erect a satellite dish or aerial. Your request will not be
turned down unreasonably, but there are instances where we will not give permission. Do not
do any work until you have received written permission.